Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Hari Ho….Gati Meri

Hari Ho….Gati Meri

Muslim Poets in Love of Krishna


A Kathak Solo By Gauri Diwakar


Maurice Ryder Photography
Gauri Diwakar
Tha Kathak Solo by Gauri Diwakar titled “Hari Ho….Gati Meri”, was staged at Shri Ram Centre, New Delhi on Friday, 15th January, 2016. The choreographer Aditi Mangaldas wrote, “Muslim Poets writing about Krishna does’t invoke in me a sense of greatness of the Hindu religion.  I don’t care to dwell on questions about a minority community looking for patronage or favours from the majority community. To me what is important is that Krishna is a concept that lends itself to vibrant and vivid imagination, inspiring some fantastic poetry, sculpture, art, architecture, dance …the list is endless!! It makes Krishna not a God, man or woman, but a totally inspiring and stimulating imagination. An imagination that can flourish in anyone’s mind, in a Muslim, Hindu, Christian poet’s mind. In a child and an old persons mind, in an Indian and a non Indian mind. I view the whole philosophy or person of Krishna an imagination  that more often is so much greater than knowledge. It spoke through the Muslim poets who wrote with abandon and passion, a courageous act. To me, this talks of breaking barriers, of pulling down walls and of a sense of inclusion and togetherness.”

“Hari Ho.…Gati Meri” is sourced from the lines of poet Sayyad Mubarak Ali Bilgrami. A Muslim by faith his poetry reflected love for Krishna. Bilgrami is not the only one he is part of the living tradition of shared heritage and oneness.
“Hari Ho….Gati Meri” (Let my salvation be in the Supreme) is a statement of “You”.  It is a search for salvation, for truth, and for beauty.
“Is the Melody emerging out of Krishna’s flute, a message beckoning to eternal life, or the fount of ever-increasing knowledge?”
We have become one, yet we remain separate. You blue, me gold! You radiant, me in repose! You dynamic, me graceful! You tender, me passionate! You beauty, me truth! You me, me you. You Krishna, me Radha. Me Radha you Krishna!
Vocals and Harmonium: Samiullah Khan 
Tabla: Yogesh Gangani. 
Pankhawaj: Ashish Gangani Flute: Kiran kumar. Padhant: Mohit Gangani. 
Poets: Maulana Sayyad Fazlul Hasan “Hasrat”, Malik Muhammad Jayasi, Mian Wahid Ali and Sayyad Mubarak Ali Bilgrami.
 Photography: Maurice Ryder
Vocals and Harmonium: Samiullah Khan 
Hari Ho…. Gati Meri. I search you elsewhere, ignorant me! Waiting, waiting and letting life go by, while you reside within the deepest core of me. Let my senses be open to you, within me.
 
I hear the flute,       
   
I see the melody,
 I feel the love!
 
“I am emersed in you, like a drop of water that dissolves in the ocean.
Gauri Diwakar, one of India’s best young talents, her graceful moves, striking facial expression along with her powerful presence on the stage, leaves her audiences spellbound. A kathak dancer par excellence. Awarded: ‘Ustad Bismillah Khan Yuva Puruskar’ by the Sangeet Natak Akademi – India’s National Academy for music, dance and drama. Her skills were further perfected under the tutelage of the renowned Pandit Birju Maharaj and Shri Jai Kishan Maharaj at the National Capital’s Kathak Kendra.






No comments:

Post a Comment